Oldham Grammar School opened. A one-room school, at that time Oldham was little more than a small Pennine village.

Ogs005 (1)


Due to the rapid rise of industry in Oldham it was deemed the school was in an unsuitable part of town, and it eventually closed in 1867



The Hulme Trust was given permission to support local educational projects, and the Oldham Hulme Grammar Schools were founded

1895 Staffboys


The first pupils entered the new school buildings on 1st May, with the official opening being done by Earl Spencer on the 30th

1914 People010


Many of the school’s pupils, both boys and girls, volunteered their services to World War I. 71 students and 1 staff member were recorded to have lost their lives, with the majority being killed in action at the Somme

People011 (1)


The school was flourishing with numbers growing, so a large three storey extension was constructed and the Girls’ School was opened



In June, 10,000 evacuees from Guernsey arrived in England, with many being welcomed into the homes of Oldham, with a number continuing their education at Hulme. They became known as The Guernsey Boys, and would not return home for 5 years



The school rapidly expanded: the Estcourt building was opened for use by the Girls’ Junior School; followed by a dedicated science building in 1959; and in 1969 Thornycroft building, a space for Sixth Form students and art departments



The Centenary Library was opened, and was built to reflect the changing needs of pupils, complementing the advances made throughout the school to equip pupils for the challenges of higher education and employment and to prepare them to become adult citizens in the new millennium

Dji 0022 Cmyk


The Boys’ and Girls’ Schools were merged, bringing them under the leadership of one Principal, with Nursery and Sixth Form being co-educational

Hgs Brandmark Stacked Ws Yellow Rgb


January – A new Principal, Tony Oulton, was appointed, with an exciting vision for the future of the school
September – OHGS becomes Hulme Grammar School. HGS welcomes the first cohort of co-education Year 7s

Our Archive Team

Our archive team is made up of volunteers who have a keen interest in history and are alumni of Hulme. They are piecing together the various documents and artefacts we have in store with a view to bringing the history of our school to life. Our archive team comprises:

  • Ian Holt (Hulme 1955 – 1962) Retired Head of Physics and Hulme Archivist
  • Margaret Castleton (Hulme 1984 – 2002) Retired teacher of Art and Ceramics
  • David Moore (Hulme 1947 – 1954) Retired Bursar
  • Lynne Banister (Former Hulme parent 2007 – 2014)
  • Liz Headon (Hulme 1960-1967)

To contact the archive team, please email archive@hulmegrammar.org

Visit the archives website

From the archives